Sunday 25 January 2015

Tenant blues

Again I'm reminded of the challenges that face many this time of year. Holiday bills are rolling in, manufacturing slows down and some of us are fighting the effects of Canadian winters. Us, as landlords inherit our tenants problems.


I must admit to something here dear readers, I don’t always feel like greeting each challenge with a smile on my face. I'm a person after all and sometimes my initial reaction is to shout, give notices and yes sometimes I even curse! Thankfully, this is done internally and when reason returns (often times with the direction of my better half)I find a more constructive way to deal with my tenants.


To this day I believe communication is one of the keys to reaching residential resolutions.


So pick up the phone fellow landlords and property owners, send that email, knock on those doors. Let’s see if we can’t get Johnny student to pick up his clothes so we could spray for bugs. Let’s let Mrs. Tenant know if the foundation leaks it’s perfectly okay to give us a shout. And let Martha “maybe next friday” know hey, if you have some of the rent right now I can hold on to it for you! With a bit of work and decorum we can find a solution that works for all.

Good luck hope your holidays don’t seem to distant yet.

Image provide by franky242 from freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment